2023-2024 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog 
    Oct 02, 2023  
2023-2024 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog

Undergraduate Admission Requirements

Return to Admission Information 

Freshman Requirements

Generally, applicants will qualify for consideration for first-time freshman admission if they meet the following requirements:

  1. Have graduated from high school, have earned a Certificate of General Education Development (GED) or have passed the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE);
  2. Complete the 15-unit comprehensive “a-g” pattern of college preparatory courses;
  3. Have completed, with grades of C- or better, each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements also known as the “a-g” pattern (see “Subject Requirements”); and
  • The CSU will accept “Credit” or “Pass” grades to satisfy “a-g” requirements completed during Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall 2020 terms and during Winter, Spring or Summer 2021 terms. The CSU expects and assumes that high school Pass (Credit) grades will represent work completed at the C- or higher level. As of Fall 2021and forward, grades are expected for courses.
  1. Earn a qualifying “a-g” grade point average (GPA) as described below.
  • California residents and graduates of California high schools will be eligible for admission by earning a 2.50 or greater “a-g” GPA.
  • Any California high school graduate or resident of California earning a GPA between 2.00 and 2.49 may be evaluated for admission based upon supplemental factors such as number of courses exceeding minimum “a-g” requirements, household income, extracurricular involvement, and other available information that would inform the university admission decision.
  • Non-California residents may be eligible for admission to the CSU by earning a 3.00 or greater “a-g” GPA along with other supplemental factors utilized by the individual university, including those outlined by impacted universities and programs.
  • Any Non-California resident earning a GPA between 2.47 and 2.99 may be evaluated for admission based upon supplemental factors such as number of courses exceeding minimum “a-g” requirements, household income, extracurricular involvement, and other available information that would inform the university admission decision.
  1. Each CSU will determine the supplemental factors used with GPA to determine eligibility in these cases and communicate these criteria publicly for prospective students.

The California State University (CSU) has permanently discontinued the use of ACT/SAT examinations in determining admission eligibility Submitted test scores by admitted students would be considered only for purposes of student placement in Math or English courses.

Applicants who cannot meet admission requirements may wish to enroll at a community college to prepare for admission to Humboldt at a later date as an upper division transfer. See “Special Admission”. For questions regarding individual situations, make an appointment with an admissions counselor, call 707-826-4402.

Provisional Admission

Cal Poly Humboldt may provisionally admit first-time freshman applicants based on their academic preparation through the junior year of high school and planned coursework for the senior year. The university will monitor the final terms of study to ensure that admitted students complete their secondary school studies satisfactorily, including the required college preparatory subjects, and graduate from high school. Students are required to submit an official transcript after graduation to certify that all coursework has been satisfactorily completed. Official high school transcripts must be received prior to the deadline set by the university. In no case may documentation of high school graduation be received any later than the census date for a student’s first term of CSU enrollment. A CSU may rescind admission decisions, cancel financial aid awards, withdraw housing contracts and cancel any university registration for students who are found to be ineligible after the final transcript has been evaluated.

Applicants will qualify for regular (non-provisional) admission when the university verifies that they have graduated and received a high school diploma, have completed the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory “a-g” subjects and, if applying to an impacted program or university, have met all supplementary criteria.

Subject Requirements

The CSU requires that first-time freshman applicants complete, with grades of C- or better, a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory study totaling 15 units. A “unit” is one year of study in high school.

  • 2 years of social science, including 1 year of U.S. history, or U.S. history and government
  • 4 years of English
  • 3 years of math (algebra, geometry and intermediate algebra; 4 years recommended)
  • 2 years of laboratory science (l biological & 1 physical, both must have laboratory instruction)
  • 2 years in the same foreign language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
  • 1 year of visual and performing arts: art, dance, drama/theater, or music
  • 1 year of electives: selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science, history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts or other courses approved and included on the UC/CSU “a-g” list.

Subject Requirements for Students with Disabilities (Cal Poly Humboldt)

Cal Poly Humboldt encourages applicants with disabilities to complete college preparatory course requirements if possible. Those unable to fulfill specific course requirements because of disabilities may be able to substitute alternative college preparatory courses.

Substitutions are authorized on an individual basis after review and recommendation by the applicant’s academic advisor or guidance counselor in consultation with the director of the Student Disability Resource Center, and subject to approval by the Office of Admissions.

Although the distribution may be slightly different from the course pattern required of other students, those students qualifying for substitutions still will be held for 15 units of college preparatory study.

Course substitutions may limit later enrollment in certain majors, particularly those involving mathematics. For information or substitution forms, contact the Student Disability Resource Center at 707-826-4678 (voice) or 707-826-5392 (TDD).

The California Promise

The California Promise Program enables a specific number of CSUs to establish pledge programs for entering first-time students who are both interested and able to complete baccalaureate degrees in 4-years. All CSUs have established programs for students with Associate Degrees for Transfer from any California Community College to complete their baccalaureate degrees in 2-years. The program is limited to students who are residents of California.

Students who commit to enter either the 4-year or 2-year pledge will be given a priority registration appointment for each state-supported enrollment period and will be provided with routine and thorough academic advisement. In order to remain in the program, students must meet with their advisors as prescribed, develop an enrollment plan and complete 30 semester units or the quarter equivalent within each academic year, including summer. Participating CSUs may stipulate other requirements as well. Interested students entering the CSU should contact university offices or visit the California Promise Program website

High School Students

High school students may be considered for enrollment in certain special programs if recommended by the principal and the appropriate university department chair and if preparation is equivalent to that required of eligible California high school graduates. Such admission is only for a given specific program and does not constitute a right to continued enrollment.

Return to top.

Transfer Policies of California State University

Most commonly, college-level credits earned from an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting agency are accepted for transfer to member universities of the CSU. However, authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each university.

California Community Colleges and other authorized certifying institutions can certify up to 39 semester (58.5 quarter) units of General Education-Breadth (GE-Breadth) or 37 semester (55.5 quarter) units of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for transfer students to fulfill lower-division general education requirements for any CSU prior to transfer.

“Certification” is the official notification from a California Community College or authorized institution that a transfer student has completed courses fulfilling lower-division general education requirements. The CSU GE-Breadth and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) certification course lists for particular community colleges can be accessed on the official transfer and articulation system for California’s public colleges and universities website assist.org.

CSUs may enter into course-to-course or program-to-program articulation agreements with other CSUs, any or all of the California community colleges and other regionally accredited institutions. Established CSU and CCC articulations may be found on assist.org. Students may be permitted to transfer no more than 70 semester (105 quarter) units to a CSU from an institution which does not offer bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, for example, community colleges. Given the university’s 30-semester (45-quarter) unit residency requirement, no more than a total of 90 semester (135 quarter) units may be transferred into the university from all sources.

Transfer Requirements

Applicants who have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester college units (fewer than 90 quarter units) are considered lower-division transfer students. Applicants who have completed 60 or more transferable semester college units (90 or more quarter units) are considered upper-division transfer students. Applicants who complete college units during high school or through the summer immediately following high school graduation are considered first-time freshmen and must meet the CSU minimum eligibility requirements for first-time freshman admission. Transferable courses are those designated for baccalaureate credit by the college or university offering the courses and accepted as such by the university to which the applicant seeks admission.

Lower Division Transfer Requirements

Due to increased enrollment demands, some CSUs do not admit lower-division transfer applicants. Students are advised to check the respective university they are interested in to see if lower division transfer applications are accepted.

An applicant who completes fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units of college credit is considered a lower-division transfer student. Due to enrollment pressures, some CSUs do not admit lower-division transfers so that more upper-division transfers can be accommodated.

Having fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units at the point of transfer may affect eligibility for registration priority at a CSU and may affect the student’s financial aid status.

California resident transfer applicants with fewer than 60 semester or 90 quarter units must:

  • Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better in all transferable units attempted;
  • Have completed, with a grade of C- or better, a course in written communication and a course in mathematics or quantitative reasoning at a level satisfying CSU General Education Breadth Area A2 and B4 requirements, respectively;
  • Be in good standing at the last institution attended; and
  • Meet any one of the following eligibility standards.

Transfer Based on Current Admission Criteria

The applicant meets the freshman admission requirements in effect for the term for which the application is filed; - OR

Transfer Based on High School Eligibility

The applicant was eligible as a freshman at the time of high school graduation and has been in continuous attendance in an accredited college since high school graduation; - OR -

Transfer Based on Making Up Missing Subjects

The applicant had a qualifiable eligibility index at the time of high school graduation (combination of GPA and test scores if needed), has made up any missing college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of C- or better, and has been in continuous attendance in an accredited college since high school graduation.

One baccalaureate-level course of at least 3 semester (4 quarter) units is usually considered equivalent to one year of high school study.

(Note: Some CSUs may require lower-division transfer students to complete specific college coursework, for example the four basic skill courses, as part of their admission criteria.)

Upper Division Transfer Requirements

Generally, applicants will qualify for consideration for upper-division transfer admission if they meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in all transferable units attempted;
  2. In good standing at the last college or university attended; and
  3. Completed at least 60 transferable semester (90 quarter) units of college level coursework with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and a grade C- or better in each course used to meet the CSU general education requirements in written communication, oral communication, critical thinking, and quantitative reasoning, e.g. mathematics.

The 60 units must include at least 30 units of courses that meet CSU general education requirements, including all of the general education requirements in communication in the English language (both oral and written) and critical thinking and the requirement in mathematics/quantitative reasoning (usually 3 semester units) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.

Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T)

The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees offered at the California Community Colleges (CCC) are designed to provide a California community college student the optimum transfer preparation and a clear admission pathway to the CSU degree majors.

CCC students who earn an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission with junior standing to a CSU and given priority admission consideration over other transfer applicants when applying to a local CSU or non-impacted CSU program. AA-T or AS- T admission applicants are given limited priority consideration based on their eligibility ranking to an impacted university/program or to CSUs/programs that have been deemed similar to the degree completed at the community college. Students who have completed an AA-T/AS-T in a program deemed similar to a CSU major are able to complete remaining requirements for graduation within 60 semester (90 quarter) units. It is the responsibility of the student who has earned an AA-T/AS-T to provide documentation of the degree to the CSU. For the admissions process, students are responsible for working with their community college counselors to complete verification of AA-T or AS-T degree progress through the e-verify process within the established university deadlines.

Transfer Provisional Admission

Cal Poly Humboldt may provisionally or conditionally admit transfer applicants based on their academic preparation and courses planned for completion. The university will monitor the final terms to ensure that those admitted complete all required courses satisfactorily. All accepted applicants are required to submit an official transcript of all college-level work completed. CSUs may rescind admission for any student who is found to be ineligible after the final transcript has been evaluated. In no case may such documents be received and validated by the university any later than a student’s registration for their second term of CSU enrollment.

Return to top.

English Language Requirement

All undergraduate applicants whose native language is not English and who have not attended schools at the secondary level or above for at least three years full time where English is the principal language of instruction must present a score of 71-internet (IBT), 525-written (PBT), 197-computer (CBT) or above on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Some majors may require a higher score than the university minimum. A few CSUs may also use alternative methods of assessing English fluency: Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the International Test of English Proficiency (ITEP). Each university will post the tests it accepts on its website and will notify students after they apply about the tests it accepts and when to submit scores. CSU minimum TOEFL standards are:

Undergraduate: 61 - INTERNET, 500 - PAPER
Graduate: 80 - INTERNET, 550 - PAPER

Return to top.

Return to Admission Information