2023-2024 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog 
    Feb 24, 2024  
2023-2024 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog

Liberal Studies, Child Development, Special Education ITEP Concentration, B.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors

The Child Development, Special Education ITEP concentration allows students to complete a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Liberal Studies and be recommended for a Preliminary Special Education Credential in four years. This unique program is a collaboration between the Department of Child Development and the Special Education Credential program in the School of Education. The total program is 133 units, which is 13 more than the bachelor’s degree only, but it is specifically designed to be completed in four years.

The Liberal Studies 63-unit core is the same  for all Liberal Studies programs offered by Cal Poly Humboldt. Each concentration has very specific requirements. It is essential that students work with major advisors to make the determination of concentration during the students freshmen year. Students apply to the credential program in their third year. Students who are not admitted to the Credential Program or find new career paths can change their major to Child Development and Family Relationships or remain in the Liberal Studies, Child Development Elementary Education Concentration.

Admission Procedure

Students apply for admission to the Liberal Studies: Child Development Elementary Education Concentration. Students must apply during their junior year to take the special education credential courses.

Liberal Studies, Child Development, Special Education ITEP Concentration Admission Requirements

  • An overall GPA of 2.67 or above in all baccalaureate course work.
  • Junior status (earned 60 semester units)
  • Satisfactory completion of all program core courses with a C- or better
  • Pass with a C- or better U.S. Constitutions course (PSCI 110 or the U.S. Constitutions Test administered by the County Office of Education.
  • Current CPR certification from the American Heart Association Course B or C, American Red Cross Community CPR, or equivalent training in adult, child and infant CPR.
  • A Certificate of Clearance from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing
  • Satisfaction of Basic Skills Requirement (details are available on the School of Education website 
  • Demonstration of Subject Matter Competency (re: CSET Multiple Subjects) 
  • Complete ITP Admission Process: ITEP Program Application and Interview

Program admission requirements are subject to change based on the latest CTC and/or CSU credential requirements. Please consult the department for the latest information.

Additional Credential Requirements

The following are not program admission requirements, but are credential related requirements. Students will need to: 

  • Pay professional liability insurance fee, required by the CSU and local school districts prior to student teaching ($20)
  • Pass the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
  • Pass the Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA)

Requirements for the Bachelor’s Degree

A bachelor’s degree requires a total of 120 units. Students must fulfill General Education & All-University Requirements , residency, unit, and GPA requirements as outlined in the Bachelor’s Degree Requirements . This major includes a Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) certified course.

Requirements for the Major (133 Units)

The Liberal Studies major with a concentration in Child Development, Special Education (ITEP) Concentration consists of 63 units of core coursework, 34 units of concentration specific courses and 36 units of credential coursework.

Liberal Studies Core (63 Units)

The Liberal Studies core includes courses which are approved to satisfy all General Education (with upper division GE area D met by major), American Institutions, and Diversity and Common Grounds. ​Students must pass all courses for the major with a letter grade of C- or better. An overall GPA of 2.67 or above is required for admission to either of the ITEP concentrations.


Programs Leading to Licensure and Credentialing

Admission into programs leading to licensure and credentialing does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or credential. Licensure and credentialing requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the CSU and requirements can change at any time. For example, licensure or credentialing requirements can include evidence of the right to work in the United States (e.g., social security number or taxpayer identification number) or successfully passing a criminal background check. Students are responsible for determining whether they can meet licensure or credentialing requirements. The CSU will not refund tuition, fees or any associated costs to students who determine subsequent to admission that they cannot meet licensure or credentialing requirements. Information concerning licensure and credentialing requirements are available from the Office of Academic Affairs, Siemens Hall 216, 707-826-3722.

The California State University has not determined whether its programs meet other states’ educational or professional requirements for licensure and certification. Students enrolled in a California State University program who are planning to pursue licensure or certification in other states are responsible for determining whether they will meet their state’s requirements for licensure or certification. This disclosure is made pursuant to 34 CFR §668.43(a)(5)(v)(C).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors