2021-2022 Humboldt State University Catalog 
    Jun 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Humboldt State University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Spanish, B.A.

All classes are taught in Spanish, from basic to advanced levels, with all four linguistic skills emphasized: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Courses in literature and civilization provide the opportunity for critical understanding of the cultural heritage of the Spanish-speaking world, including the US.

Social events, weekend retreats, literary workshops, and discussions on social and political contemporary issues provide ample opportunity for faculty and students to interact.

Graduates of this program have found careers as: teachers, interpreters, literary or technical translators, international bankers or financiers, travel agents, foreign service officers, foreign correspondents, and airline employees. Many county, state, and federal agencies offer jobs for which knowledge of Spanish is either desirable or required.

Special Scholarship and Awards. The Department of World Languages and Cultures has three permanent scholarships and awards:

  • The Benavides-Garb Family International Travel Award Spanish
  • The Joe and Helen Bottino Memorial Travel Award
  • The Frank B. Wood Scholarship

All language students are encouraged to apply for these important scholarships and awards to enhance language studies with an international residence. Information is available on the Department of World Languages and Cultures website.

Certified Education Program

This program is certified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Students who successfully complete this program will have demonstrated subject matter competency in Spanish and therefore, will not be required to take the California Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET) for Spanish.

SPAN 315S , taken for 3-4 units, satisfies the 45 hours of observation prerequisite by the CCTC for the multiple subject credential program and/or the single subject credential program. Consult with a Spanish program advisor.

Spanish Advanced Placement (AP)

Students with AP credit should consult with a Spanish program advisor about selecting Spanish courses. Also discuss the possibility of counting Spanish AP credit towards the Spanish minor or, under special circumstances, the major.

California Seal of Biliteracy (CSB)

Students who have successfully earned the CSB should enroll in upper division Spanish courses at the 300 level and may be granted credit for the Spanish minor through the HSU “Credit by Examination” policy with appropriate documentation. Under special circumstances, such credit may apply to the Spanish major. Consult with a Spanish program advisor.

Spanish Heritage Speakers

Students who are Heritage Speakers of Spanish should not enroll in Spanish language development courses: SPAN 105 , SPAN 106 , SPAN 107 , or SPAN 207 . Instead, they should enroll in Spanish for Heritage Speakers:  SPAN 108 , SPAN 108S , SPAN 208 , or SPAN 208S . Students who have completed a minimum of one year of Spanish for Heritage Speakers at the high school or Community College level should take upper division Spanish courses at the 300 level. Consult with a Spanish program advisor.


A good background in English grammar and syntax is desirable. Previous Spanish study is welcome but not required. Students without previous Spanish language background will have the opportunity to acquire the language from the beginning, following the language and culture course sequence: SPAN 105 , SPAN 106 , SPAN 107 , or SPAN 207 . Discuss your particular level with a Spanish program advisor.

A bachelor’s degree requires a total of 120 units. For a description of degree requirements to be fulfilled in addition to those listed below for the major, please see “Bachelor’s Degree Requirements ”.

Requirements for the Major (49 units)

Complete 49 units of upper division major specific coursework. At least 12 units must be completed at the Humboldt State campus.

Upper Division Electives (1 Unit)

Complete a minimum of 1 unit from the 300/400 series (which may include courses not taken in the pairs above).

Residency Abroad Requirement

Complete an approved academic semester program abroad in a Spanish-speaking region of the Hispanic world, including Spain and/ or Latin America, equivalent to at least 12 units and normally lasting at least 10 weeks. Students are encouraged to efficiently plan their academic residency abroad to complete major and general education requirements. Program must be selected in consultation with and approved by the major advisor. Students are expected to complete their final semester in residence at Humboldt State University.

Cost of residency abroad varies according to program and world region. Be sure to understand the costs involved and plan ahead. Consult with the HSU Center for International Programs office.

Under exceptional circumstances the residency abroad requirement can be waived by the major advisor.

Spanish, B.A. Program Learning Outcomes

Students completing this program will have demonstrated:

  • analysis, acknowledgement, and respect of cultural expressions and worldviews of others
  • the capacity to be responsible, productive and compassionate global citizens in a fragile world
  • cultural and linguistic competency
  • the ability to collaboratively formulate and solve problems
  • independent and critical thinking.