2022-2023 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog 
    Sep 21, 2023  
2022-2023 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Repeating Courses

Repeating Courses (Undergraduate)

With the exception of “repeatable for credit” courses (identified in the catalog with the designation “Repeatable”), undergraduate students may only repeat courses if they earned grades lower than a C. Furthermore, undergraduate students may only repeat an individual course twice, for a total of three attempts.

Undergraduate students may repeat up to 16 units with grade forgiveness, and up to an additional 12 with grade averaging. For the first 16 units of repeated courses, only the newer attempt calculates into the student’s GPA and each of these attempts counts toward the 16-unit maximum for grade forgiveness. Grade forgiveness will not be allowed for a course for which the original grade was the result of a finding of academic dishonesty. Students may repeat an additional 12 units (beyond the initial 16) with “grades averaged,” where both the original and new grades are included in the calculation of the student’s GPA. Undergraduate students may not repeat more than 28 units total of course work. This limit applies only to units completed at Cal Poly Humboldt.

Exceptions occur in cases where an academic program on campus specifically designates that a course is repeatable so that the automatic repeat process does not take place. For instance, a course may be set up by the department to be repeatable 4 times. This means that a student may earn credit for the course a maximum of 5 times. Some courses (e.g. ART 301) have multiple topics. For grade forgiveness to apply, the same topic must be repeated.

Students should submit a petition to the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, if special circumstances are involved.

Repeating a Cal Poly Humboldt course that was previously taken at another college may require permission from the university department offering an equivalent course (if the equivalency has not been established by an articulation agreement). Additionally, the department chair must sign a Student Petition, if applicable, which is available from the Office of the Registrar. In order to override the Cal Poly Humboldt automatic repeat policy, the student needs approval of the department chair on a Student Petition.

A student may not take a course at Cal Poly Humboldt, repeat it at another college, and then use the repeat policy to remove the Cal Poly Humboldt course from the grade point average.

The grades of I, NC, RP, RD, and W are not considered as attempts for grade point average computation. Contact the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, regarding courses taken prior to fall semester 1996. Note: Some universities calculate all attempts of every course and ignore the undergraduate grade point average provided by Humboldt for post-baccalaureate programs (e.g. graduate level programs, law school, medical schools).

Students who are pursuing a second bachelor’s degree, or who are unclassified post-baccalaureate students, are eligible to use the undergraduate repeat policy. Students should submit a petition to the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133.

Repeating Courses (Graduate)

Graduate students may repeat courses; however, all grades will appear on the permanent record and count in the grade point average. The units earned toward the degree count only once.