2022-2023 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog 
    Sep 25, 2022  
2022-2023 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog

Majors and Minors, Policies

Return to: Academic Regulations & Enrollment   

Credit/No Credit

Mandatory Credit/No Credit. Some courses are offered only credit/no credit - no letter grades. These include activity courses, thesis projects, field projects, independent study courses, and specialized courses.

Optional Credit/No Credit. In some courses, students choose between taking a letter grade or credit/no credit. A student choosing the credit/no credit option must do so by the eighth week of classes; otherwise, the student will receive a letter grade. Students may take only one optional CR/NC course per semester at Cal Poly Humboldt. See Bachelor’s Degree Requirements  and Master’s Degree Requirements  for information on credit/no credit unit limits.

Declare a Major 

It is recommended that students declare a major at the time of application to the university. Students must declare a major by the time they have earned 45 units. 

Double Major (Second Major)

Students may earn a bachelor’s degree with two majors by completing the requirements for both programs. Although both majors appear on the permanent record, the student receives one degree. Students may request a second major only if they meet the following criteria:

  • Declare second major before earning 90 units; and
  • Demonstrate that they can graduate with both majors completed in fewer than 140 total units.

Students who choose to complete a second major and cannot complete the required courses in less than 140 units may submit a request for an exception to the department chair and college dean.

Major Changes

Undergraduate students who wish to request a major change must file the appropriate form with the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133. The required signatures must be obtained from the department before the forms are filed. Some departments may have additional requirements.

Graduate students should contact Academic Programs & Undergraduate/Graduate Studies, SH 217A for information on changing their major.

Students are not permitted to change majors after they have earned 90 units unless the new major can be completed in less than 140 total units. Students who choose to change majors and cannot complete the required courses in less than 140 units may submit a request for an exception to the department chair and college dean using the Major Change Request for Seniors.


The minor is similar to the major but less comprehensive, consisting of 12-30 units, with at least 6 units at the upper division level. A GPA of  2.0 (C) or better is required. Courses used for a minor can also be used for general education. Students may add, drop or change their minor using the Declare or Update Minor e-form.

Students are generally prohibited from earning a major and minor from the same degree program. Exceptions can be made in major and minor combinations in which: [1] at least 9 units required for the minor are not already required for the major. In cases where there are “concentrations” within the major, a student must take the concentration such that at least 9 units for the minor are not counted towards the requirements of the major, and [2] the major and minor must have different titles.

A minor must be completed in conjunction with a bachelor’s degree. A minor cannot be posted if completed after the degree has been awarded. Minors are recorded on the student’s transcript. Diplomas do not list minors.

Return to top