2022-2023 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog 
    Oct 04, 2022  
2022-2023 Cal Poly Humboldt Catalog

Registration and Attendance

Return to: Academic Regulations & Enrollment    

Academic Advising

At Cal Poly Humboldt, academic advisors play a vital role in a student’s educational experience using a developmental academic advising approach.  Developmental academic advising is an intentional process that facilitates students’ academic, professional, and personal development. Using student development theory to establish learning outcomes, advisors help students get the most out of their college experience. By honoring students’ identities and lived experiences, they connect students to campus and community resources, provide information about opportunities to enhance their education (e.g. study abroad, internships) support timely progress to degree, and discuss how students can integrate their education into their personal and professional goals. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor throughout the academic year and must meet at least once a semester to review their 3-semester DARS degree plan and to facilitate registration for their next term. Additional information is available on the Academic & Career Advising Center website. Students who wish to change their major advisor may complete an Advisor Change e-form.

Cal Poly Humboldt is in the process of transitioning to professional academic advisors for all first- and second-year students with students in their third year and beyond assigned to a faculty academic advisor in their major. Pre-professional advising for admission to health science professional schools (including medical, dental, veterinary, optometry, and pharmacy) is available from designated faculty in the Biological Sciences and Chemistry departments. See Preparatory Courses of Study for Pre-Law and Pre-Professional Health. Additional information is available on the Pre-Professional Health Programs webpage. Information about pre-law advising is available on the Pre-Law Program webpage.

Add or Drop Courses (Schedule Adjustments)

Students may view an updated list of open, cancelled, and closed classes on the Class Schedule webpage. Schedule adjustments may be made via Student Center during the first two weeks of instruction.

Adding Courses

During the first two weeks of classes, all adds can be done by the student via Student Center. Instructor approval is not required for students to enroll in open classes during the first week of instruction, except for those that require special approval. Instructor approval is required (with a permission number) for students to enroll in any class during the second week of instruction. A $20 fee per course is assessed.

Courses cannot be added after the second week of classes (see Academic Deadlines). After the second week, approval to add courses will only be considered if verification that the course is necessary for the student to graduate at the end of the current semester is provided. Instructor, department chair, and college dean signatures are required.

When adding courses with lecture, lab and/ or activity/discussion links, all courses/ sections must be added in Student Center.

Dropping Courses

When dropping a course that requires a lab or activity, both the lecture and the lab/activity must be dropped at the same time.

As a matter of university policy, the instructor in the course may opt to drop a student upon absence from a class lab session within the first week of classes. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the student to drop the course via the web. (See “Attendance” in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog.)

During the first two weeks of instruction, students may drop a class from their schedule via Student Center. After the first two weeks of classes, permission to withdraw with a documented serious and compelling reason must be approved. A $20 fee per course is assessed.

Students can only withdraw from a maximum of 18 units. Withdrawal from courses for reasons that are catastrophic, such as accident or serious illness, do not count toward the 18-unit limit. A “W” grade is recorded on the academic record and a $20 fee will be charged per course. The final drop deadline is the end of the tenth week of classes (see Academic Deadlines).

A student is not permitted to withdraw from any classes during the last five weeks of instruction or later except in cases where the cause of withdrawal is due to circumstances clearly beyond the student’s control and the assignment of an incomplete grade is not practicable. Approval for requests for course withdrawals during the final five weeks of the semester are seldom granted. Such withdrawals from courses will not count towards the total of 18 permitted semester units of withdrawn courses.

Note: When you drop all of your classes using Student Center (during the first week of instruction), the information is relayed to the Office of the Registrar. You will be withdrawn from the university. The date on which the drop process is completed is the effective date used for official records in the Office of the Registrar, Financial Aid Office, and Student Financial Services. Many students, however, must also complete various exit procedures with offices on campus. We strongly encourage students that are considering withdrawing to visit the Office of the Registrar or the Academic & Career Advising Center, GH 114, for a full discussion of the withdrawal procedure. Following the complete withdrawal procedure ensures that outstanding issues are dealt with in advance of leaving the university. See Withdrawal from Cal Poly Humboldt for more information.


Cal Poly Humboldt expects attendance at every class meeting. Students who have been absent from a class or lab session within the first week of instruction may be dropped from the course for non-attendance by the instructor no later than the end of the second week of instruction. Not all instructors will drop students on the basis of non-attendance. Students are responsible for ensuring the correct courses are on their schedules prior to the add/drop deadline. Failure to drop the course officially will result in a grade of “WU” or “F” being submitted by the instructor. A “WU” withdrawal unauthorized has a grade point of 0.0 (same as an “F” grade) and is used in calculation of GPA.

Audit a Course

Humboldt permits students to audit only after those otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had opportunity to do so. There is no limit to the number of courses a student can petition to audit within a term. Students who wish to audit a course need to register for the courses and complete an Audit Petition to obtain approval from the instructor of the course. Courses audited must be paid for following the same fee structure as courses in which a student is normally enrolled. The Audit Petition must be approved by the instructor and have the fees paid. The petition must be returned to the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, by the twentieth day of instruction (census).

Once enrolled as an auditor, a student may not change to a credit status unless the change is requested no later than the last day to add a course. An AU grade for the audited course will appear on the permanent record. There are no grade points earned nor are the units counted in earned, attempted or GPA hours. Audited courses are not eligible for inclusion in the determination of full/part-time status in the awarding of financial aid.

Cancelled Classes

Classes scheduled to be offered by the colleges of Cal Poly Humboldt are listed in the class schedule. Cal Poly Humboldt reserves the right to cancel, postpone, divide, change the time of, combine scheduled classes, and/or change instructors.

Enrollment Limitations and Course Load

The CSU may impose unit limitations on a term-by-term basis. Check with the Office of the Registrar’s website for the most up-to-date information.

Due to their academic standing, some students are limited to enrolling in no more than 12 units. Advisors cannot change units for these students. These students should contact the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, for information on their unit limit.

Full-Time Status

A normal course load is 15 units for undergraduates to ensure timely progress towards the bachelor’s degree. Undergraduates taking 12 or more semester units, graduate students taking 9 or more semester units, or post-baccalaureate students taking 12 or more semester units are enrolled full-time for student verification purposes.

Half-Semester or Less Courses

To allow for flexibility in scheduling, departments may offer courses at various times during the semester on a ten-week, seven-week, five-week, and weekend workshop format. For purposes of adding and dropping, courses must be added and/or dropped by the deadlines listed in Activities & Deadlines.


Holds can prevent registration, adding and dropping classes, obtaining grades, or graduating. It is recommended that students check their Student Center at least five days prior to their registration starting time in order to have time to clear any holds that may prevent registration. To view any possible holds, log in to the myHumboldt campus portal. Once logged in, click on the Student Center icon. The Holds section is in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.

Holds are placed on a student’s account for various reasons, including money due to the university, library fines, outstanding/ dishonored checks, lost key charges, immunization requirements not being met, admission requirements not being met, and more. Students should contact Student Financial Services, SBS 285, regarding financial obligations. The Student Health Center should be contacted regarding immunization requirements. The Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, should be contacted regarding academic and records-related holds.

A hold is placed on a student’s registration and schedule adjustment for a financial obligation greater than $199 and less than 720 days old owed to the university or for other administrative reasons. Students are responsible for resolving any holds placed on their registration.

Permission Numbers

Permission numbers are used in place of instructor approval signatures to register for courses requiring special permission or to add any course during the second week of instruction. Permission numbers may also be used to override course prerequisites if in the opinion of the instructor a student is adequately prepared for the course. Permission numbers are provided solely at the discretion of the instructor and are specific to a particular class number and student. Permission numbers do not override holds, course repeat limits, a student’s maximum unit load, or course time conflicts. 


Students view their enrollment appointment and register for classes online through Student Center. Continuing students generally enroll during November for the spring semester and April for the fall semester. New, transfer, and returning students have the opportunity to register following the first part of orientation, typically in late June to August. Students should refer to their admission letter, the Office of the Registrar’s website and/or the Student Center help website for registration information and instructions.

Priority and Scheduling of Registration

Students shall be allowed to register in the following order:

Group 1. Priority Students.

Category A. Students with disabilities and registered with the Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) who would not otherwise achieve their academic goals within a reasonable period of time due to an on-going disability.

Category B. Students who participate in intercollegiate sports governed by the NCAA.

Category C. Students who would not otherwise achieve their academic goals within a reasonable period of time because they participate in an ongoing, university-sanctioned activity that significantly benefits the university. (See Procedures, Section A.3. for general eligibility criteria.) The coordinator of the activity must apply to the Academic Policies Committee (APC) on behalf of the students, for possible inclusion in Category C.

Category D. Rare and extraordinary circumstance - The Provost or Vice President for Student Affairs may grant to an individual student access to priority registration for a rare and extraordinary circumstance on a one-time basis.

Students in Group 1 will be allowed to priority register for a maximum of sixteen (16) semester credits during priority registration. Any additional desired credits may be acquired during non-priority times.

Group 2: Graduate Students

Group 3: Students in the credentialing program

Group 4: All other undergraduate students: Appointment times for this group are assigned by the number of units a student has completed. Appointments are set in descending order so that the students with the greatest number of completed units are first, and the least number of completed units follow.

Group 5: Unclassified graduate students and transitory students (e.g. cross-enrollees and early entrant high school students).

Priority Registration for Student Veterans /Service Members

In accordance with the Assembly Bill 2133 and PL 115-48, California resident veterans, or those serving on active duty or in the National Guard or Reserve attending public colleges and universities are granted priority registration for classes while they are enrolled at Cal Poly Humboldt. At Humboldt student veterans, active duty, and National Guard and Reservists have priority registration for their first term and every fall, spring and summer term until graduation, regardless of the time from separation to enrollment at Cal Poly Humboldt. Eligible students must provide proof of service (i.e. a DD214 or current enlistment contract) to Veterans Enrollment and Transition Services. Priority registration is assigned at the earliest window of the applicable registration period. Note: Priority registration for a student’s first term is contingent on time of matriculation to Cal Poly Humboldt, and the orientation and advising session(s) available.

Transferring to Another Institution

For specific requirements, students should consult with the institution to which they plan to transfer. Cal Poly Humboldt is accredited by the WASC Senior College & University Commission and by the State Board of Education. This ensures that institutions accredited by the same (or similar) boards will accept student credits.

Veterans Enrollment and Transition Services (VETS)

Student veterans and staff at Cal Poly Humboldt are committed to the academic success and career goals of our military-affiliated students. Located in the Lower Library, Room 58, we offer programs and services to assist with academic, financial, and career goals. VETS processes enrollment certifications for the Montgomery GI Bill® and processes the California Department of Veterans Affairs fee waiver. Information about veteran’s education benefits, tutorial services, military credit evaluation, and the VA work-study program is also available. We have an on-campus counselor from the local Veteran Center to assist with transitional counseling. All military-affiliated students are invited to join our Student Veterans Association and become an integral part of Humboldt’s student life and the veteran’s community. We have signed on to the Principles of Excellence to best serve our military-affiliated population as well as the Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding for our active-duty members. You can find more information on the Veterans Enrollment and Transition Services website or by calling 707-826-6272.

Back to top